Comparison of DBMS:
Timeline of DBMS:
Strength of Each Database System:
1) Oracle : It can installed in various operating system such as Windows, Linux and Unix. It is better to use Oracle than MS_SQL or My_SQL to process large amount of data. It is mainly used in large companies and has the largest share in DB market. The five excellence characteristics of Oracle are: Compatibility, Implasticity, Connectivity, High productivity and Openness.
- Compatibility: Oracle products adopt the references SQL and go through the National Institute of Standards and Technology(NIST) test. IBM SQL/DS, DB2, Ingres, IDMS/R, etc..
- Implasticity: Oracle’s products can run on a very wide range of hardware and operating system platforms. It can work in many kinds of operating systems, including VMS, DOS, UNIX, and Windows.
- Connectivity: Oracle can be connected to multiple types of communication networks and supports various agreements(TCP/IP, DECnet, LU6.2, etc..)
- High productivity: Oracle products offer a number of development tools, making it very convenient for users to develop further.
- Openness: Oracle’s compatibility, portability, connectivity and height productivity provide good openness to Oracle RDBMS.
- There is no cost issue with the license.
- It doesn't work compared to a typical DB vendor, and you can get enough data from the community with the resources left by the experts.
- Lower maintenance costs than commercial DBs and lower performance tuning costs.
- It has legendary reliability and stability.
- Because it is an open source code, it is easy to use for free when expanding.
- It's originally UNIX based, but we've been supporting Windows since 8.0 and cross-platform support is available (Windows is still making improvements).
- Storage strategies for multiple row data are designed for high volume environments.
- You can design and manage DB through the GUI interface.
3) MY_SQL: It can be installed in various OS like Windows, Linux and Unix. It is the most popular free open-source database management system. Many small businesses are using this system because of the advantages of price. The MySQL server supports the use of a critical mission, heavy load production system, and can even insert mass-deployed software. Compared to other database management systems, MySQL has an advantage below:
- MySQL is a relying data bank management system.
- MySQL is an open source.
- MySQL server is a fast, reliable and easy-to-use database server.
- In MySQL Server Task Customer/There is one of the server or embedded
- There are many MySQL software available
4) MariaDB: It was made after MySQL was taken over by Oracle. As it is based on the same source code as MySQL, it interchanges MySQL driver but is lighter and easier to use. It is more free to use the license and you can use it without any other settings or development. You can easily download the installation program without signing in. Built-in threadpool capabilities previously offered by MySQL Enterprise as a plug-in, provide shading technology using a storage engine. It goes beyond the open source version of MySQL and Dhas features that can replace any version.
5) Amazon Aurora:
- Automatic failover : Aurora has auto failover. Automatic failover is the process of automatically moving an application to a standby server during a failure or service event to preserve its uptime. If RDS-MySQL took 30 to 60 seconds, RDS-Aurora took approximately 30 seconds. Aurora says failure is possible within 15 minutes if there is no read replication.
- Short replication delay : Aurora is the way to use shared storage. As a result, there is no replication delay compared to MySQL, which replicates with existing binlogs.
- Cache Warm : Aurora is a structure that separates the cache from the instance. Therefore, the cached data remains when the instance is restarted. In other words, Aurora does not have to do cache warm-up.
- Infinite Storage (64TB) : Aurora automatically allocates up to 64TB of storage and charges as much as you use it.
- Point in time recovery (Restore) : Aurora can recover from any point in time if you recover from a backup copy.
- Fast Crash Recovery : Aurora plays the redo log in parallel, distributed, and asynchronous manner for quick recovery.
- Increase storage security : Encryption at the storage level is possible.
Weakness of Each Database System:
- Requires a lot of hardware resources to run DBMS
- Complex DBMS Management
- More expensive than DBMS of the same price
- All products require Kernel
- There are product features that are hard to learn
- It's unstable when many users connect to the server at the same time.
- There is a lack of stability in technical support, and if you check PostgreSQL manual, most of the errors are left to the user.
- H/A configuration is possible, but A/A configuration is not supported.
- Rich data dictionaries do not exist.
- You should do regular Vacuum work.
- If you want to use FK, you can give options at installation options.
- Does not support rollback, view, trigger, transaction features
- Subquery not supported
- No real-time backup
4) MariaDB: Using the same source code as MySQL, resulting in some of the disadvantages. Difficult to accommodate unstructured data freely.
5) Amazon Aurora: Downtime is inevitable for Aurora when forced patches such as OS patches and security patches occur. There is also a 200G tmp directory limit which causes an error when the .tmp directory is used too much. Therefore, an error occurs when using a query that can generate a physical temp table. The Online ALTER method of Aurora is only available in the Replace method. For Replace , a table-sized file is created in the tmp directory. However, because Aurora's tmp directory has a 200G limit, ALTER fails when the file size exceeds 200G.